A Prayer for Imagination
for my daughters
January 20, 2017

And now, my daughters,
in this raging clamor,
May you find words.

And when you have found a word,
knock at its door,
and wait, and listen.

Then step inside
and discover.

May this word shape you,
May it trouble you,
May you be filled with questions
and astounded at its mystery.

May you then become this word.
May the word unfold in you,
strengthening you.

And then, may you open your mouth
and speak:

I am love.
I am compassion.
I am courage.
I am justice.

May the word burn within you,
And with your fire may you
light the darkness;
love the hated;
embrace the marginalized.

Listen,
my daughters,
for all is not right:
find your word now.
Hold it, bind it close to you.
Feel its heft, its true substance.
Then, up on your feet!
Release it into this world
with great joy and power.

Comments

A word on the photo: it is from long ago, ten or more years ago, when I was still leading Merry by the hand. Things have changed. She arrived home from a recent trip to DC and announced: "Next time I'll travel all by myself." World traveller she will be as soon as we give her the go-ahead. But I love that my daughters still let me hold their hands, even if only metaphorically sometimes.
Katie said…
kim, thank you this is lovely!

Popular Posts