For the Victims of Suicide Loss

In this darkness that your loved one has left behind,
may your imagination be transformed.

May you trust that Love does not abandon its own to darkness.

May you step into the arms of that Love.

And may your laments be loud and voluble.

May those who love you sit long and quietly
beside this bitter river of your grief.

May you not dwell in the pits of shame and guilt,
nor stumble into the maze of self-accusation.

May your steps lead you away from the cruel grasp of regret;
May you walk pathways of vulnerability and freedom.
May you trust that our lives are more vast and beautiful
Than our limited understanding can grasp.

May you know that no shred of goodness in this world is ever wasted,
but is gathered up by One who loves without end.

May the bitter waters of your grief run sweet.

--
For the young men and women in our community who recently lost a classmate and friend to suicide, and for all who bear the tragic loss of a loved one.

This is the only blessing I have ever written for myself, in the days after our dear family friend committed suicide. Keats wrote in a letter once that when our friends suffer a tragedy, we are at our leisure to reason about it, but our own sufferings "touch us too nearly for words."  

As I write this years after my friend's death, I still cannot find words to clothe my anguish.  In the days after my friend died, my grief felt complicated beyond understanding--not only was this amazing young person who had lived with us, shared our table and our lives suddenly absent, but my sadness was complicated--tangled in the suffocating, clinging threads of guilt and regret.  Still I struggle to find a way to explain the darkness of those days without resorting to cliches.  Still I try to remember her as she was when she was well without feeling a shadow. 

One day after the funeral I tried to find anything online--in forums or support sites--that would reflect my pain and extend a hand to pull me out. While I'm sure there's some great support out there, on that day I couldn't find what I needed.  My friends and family and my faith helped me of course, but there was something in me that needed words on a page.  So I wrote myself a blessing.  Please know that the words still feel like bread crumbs thrown on an ocean, but I hope they will help.  Share them freely.

Comments

Country Girl said…
I just listened to a TED podcast today by the mother of one of the boys at Columbine. The last thing she said was that often times love isn't enough to heal people that are suicidal, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I liked how she put it.
XOXO T
I should find that TED talk. It sounds powerful.
Yes, I agree that no love is wasted and that we should always love the best we can even with our own frailties and imperfections. What happens after we give our love is not up to us. I do wish we could love more perfectly, but we are only human. The finality of suicide is so terrible--we want to keep loving after that sudden cessation (and do), but the person is separated from us.
I think one thing I learned is that sometimes no matter how much we love a person, our voice just sometimes doesn't reach them in a way that changes their decisions ultimately. But as you wrote so simply and truly, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
xoxo
Country Girl said…
The episode was called "Forgiveness" and aired on May 12th.
T
Unknown said…
I think of her mostly every day. This blessing is lovely.
Anonymous said…
Jill, thank you. . .yes, she was and is a rare soul--gifted, imaginative, passionate, generous with everything she had. She touched our lives in so many beautiful ways. I love and miss her.
KLC

Popular Posts