Blessing for Labor

Now in this time of waiting
when you are pulled tightly by every string,
when the world seems to be gathering
to its center in you--

May you feel your strength
as sure as the intake of your breath.

As your spirit curls around the new core
you have found and nourished for all these months,
hold this silent conversation of love:
your hopes answered by the dance of this new life.

Now.
Time to unwrap, petal by petal.
It will be hard but you are strong.

May you feel your strength deeply as roots,
coursing down through the good earth.

May you know your strength as tender
and powerful as spring's first unfurling leaf.

May you tune your ear to your great love
in the ocean pounding of the great love that creates us all.

May you close your eyes,
withdrawing to a hallowed place
where every note
fills you with courage.

May you endure with patience.
May you remember you are loved.

And as you welcome this mystery that will change you forever,
May you be filled with great joy and wonder.

_
To dear L. with great love, on the eve of her labor.  I will be there in spirit, cheering you on.

I found this photo of me in labor with Beatrix, withdrawing to my "hallowed place" where I counted slowly, trying to center myself for the journey--as in all my labors, I kept asking Martin to tell me stories.  Each story took me closer inside and closer to the moment I would hold my daughter.   She arrived on my thirtieth birthday.  Nine years later, wonder continues.

Comments

Katie said…
Kim, I can't help but love this since I so recently went through labor...and you capture it all so beautifully and perfectly. Thank you for putting words to what I hold in my heart but cannot express:) Feels like in could be in John O'Donohue's book of Blessings
Thank you, Katie, and congratulations on your new sweet daughter! I am so happy for you! By all accounts she is beautiful. ❤️ I really appreciate you mentioning John O'Donohue, as he is certainly the model for the blessings I write. I first read his blessings books a few years ago and was stunned at how he clothed my longings in words. I also loved the way I could hand one of his blessings to a friend. I began to find that I wanted more blessings to give to people in my life so I started writing them. So if you ever need one for a specific reason, let me know! And please pass them on to anyone you feel may benefit from them. 😊 Hope to meet your new precious one soon!

Popular Posts