Therapy

Okay, so as Heather said in the comments after my last goony blog post, here's to absurdity. .  .

You all know we're living with the imminent reality of having to find a job next year.  Though these days are marked by the grace of the beauty of this place, the warmth of family, the excitement of our work, and the joy of long days together, the encroaching timeline of no job-lined-up-for-next-year can cause some anxiety at moments.

Occasionally I catch it in Martin's eyes, and then I have to encourage him to peace-finding therapy of some kind.  Often, this is prayer and liturgical reading; sometimes it is a brisk walk, a hot shower, cooking, and without a doubt, many cups of tea.

But last night we hit on a new--dare I say?--spiritual practice, and it was so surprisingly effective that we tried it again tonight, to rave results.  I am now going to share it with you for your edification:

1.  Take a hot shower; increase the temperature until it is so hot you can barely stand it.  Wait for the hot water to run out.
2.  Step out and dry yourself partially with a capacious towel.  Before you have finished, however,
3.  drape the towel on your head so that you vaguely resemble a raggy-taggy elephant.
4.  Shake your head from side to side and sing, in an impossibly high key, and with moderate to insane volume:  I'm going to lay down my burden [clapping here is optional]  down by the riverside. . .
5.  Finish song.  (You know it.  You learned it in elementary school choir.)
6.  If needed, repeat steps 4-5, increasing in volume and pitch until you feel a big, silly grin spread across your face.  The stress may not be gone, but you sure beat it back a pace with your towel-ears and unbearable singing.  And goodness knows that the spiritual practice of laying down burdens, however it's done, is a worthwhile one.  Even if--or especially if--you look like a fool doing it.

Happy Friday, all!

Comments

I hear it also works for corporate workplace stress--but not IN the corporate workplace, of course, where hallway golf must apparently suffice :0)
uncle Dino said…
I found that putting on your Aunties robe, or my own backwards to go down and let Csonk out and get her coffee helps.
Especially when I wear my ball cap backwards and my glasses upside down as well.
It relieves her stress anyway.
I have no more vestige of pride after what we've been through of late.
So my lifelong occupation of acting the fool is that much easier now.
I draw the line at singing though.
Absolutely no one wants to hear me sing!
nataliejane said…
Unfortunately, it will not work in my silentSILENT apartment. Every noise feels amplified.

Popular Posts