Your Daily Miracle: The Colors of Food

Two of my passions:  color and food, married beautifully in this colander of kidney beans, in the bright leaves of spinach wilting among tomatoes in a skillet this noon.  And singing along in the simmer were the pleasing dun of chick peas, pearls of Mediterranean couscous, translucent skin of white onion.

Wouldn't it be a sad world without the beet and its impossible red?  Or the happy oranges of mandarins and carrots?  Leafy green broccoli!  Emerald kale!  Sunny lemons!  Pink apples!
(Here's my special color ball I made on that ancient program, Paintbrush, while Martin was on the phone tonight.  Can you see the face?  I think I got most fruit/veggies colors in there, except for eggplant.  How could I forget eggplant purple?)

My goal tomorrow is to pay close attention to all the colors of my food, to savor each shade and hue and striation, and then to eat them heartily.  What's your favorite food color?

Comments

nataliejane said…
I love colorful food too! I was making a salad last night, and I just kept adding more veggies to get as many colors as possible: orange carrots, red tomatoes, yellow peppers, green avocado.

The rainbow is so yummy!
Greg Scheer said…
This reminded me of a book of photos my friend Dave Westerlund did. Poke around here: http://faceandfood.com/photos/

Popular Posts