My artist-friend nears the end of her half-mile knit to the sea, to link herself (the finite) with the infinite.  I love it.  We need artists like Ru (as I know her; her given name is Christen Mattix) to keep us seeing, letting go, receiving, being surprised by beauty.

One of the fabulous things about this project is the way people keep stopping and chatting with this artist with the rhythmic hands, opening themselves in an unexpected way.  They've seen her on that same park bench for six months, after all, and it seems her daily presence has impacted that seaside community.  Dynamic encounters with art change us, after all, even when the artist is absent; imagine how much more when the artist sits there, day after day, wearing a raincoat, or a cowboy hat. . . .

Here's a snippet from yesterday's post.  The last line of the following paragraph snagged and held me.  Experience her unexpected gifts as she knits and check out the unbelievable blue ball of knitting by reading her blog, HERE.
Knit 4:50 – 5:50 pm today.  I loved the lawn across from me filled with fluffy dandelion heads…I’m thinking a lot about changes these days with the transition from summer to fall in full swing.  I used to love permanence and security, and my life was so miserable!  It was like an airtight container that didn’t let any sunlight or oxygen in.  Embracing life as an adventure rather than a script (that I direct) has been so liberating. As someone told me in a dream, “behold, don’t possess.”

Comments

Popular Posts