Name that Chicken Story!

I finished the edits, survived a peer review, and now all I need is a title.  Martin recently confirmed my worst fears (that I am lousy at titles) when he leaned over a story I'd just written and read:  Seth Finds the Tallest Tree in the World: An Adventure Across the Olympic Mountains.  "What, are you writing a dissertation?"  he spluttered.  I flashed back to the endless literary analyses and their two-lined titles I wrote as an English student.
So far I've named the chicken story Chicken Story.  Clearly, that will not do, so this is where you come in.  But first, a synopsis.  This story is based on events that occurred in our neighborhood not so long ago. . .two girls are friends with their next-door neighbor, Mr. Milton.  Poor Mr. Milton loses his dear chicken, Pepper; it is found in a disastrous state.  After an appropriate period of mourning, Mr. Milton arranges to pick up a new chicken to replace erstwhile Pepper, and asks the girls to find a name for her.

A gripping tale of fowl play!  

Now all I have to do is find a title.  Martin chipped in like the good man, writer, and editor he is, and sent me a list gleaned from his brainstorm; some of them are rather more appropriate for an audience of 6-9 year olds than others.  Pick one or create your own. 
Pepper's Last Peep
Mr. Milton's Missin' Chicken
Finding Pepper
Pepper and Salt
Naming Pepper's Heir Apparent
Mr. Milton's Hens
Mr. Milton's Hen Trouble
The Trouble with Hens
Finger Lickin' Hens
Our Neighbor Mr. Milton
Too Late to Doctor Pepper
Marie Hentoinette or Eleanor Roostavelt?
The Perfect Name for a Chicken
The Perfect Name for a Hen
Naming the New Hen
Naming Mr. Milton's New Hen

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maybe "Naming Mr. Milton's Pet" so the readers have to discover that the pet is a chicken? Cluck, cluck.
Anonymous said…
No Such Cluck, Pepper
Country Girl said…
"Fowl Play in the Neighborhood"
"The Mysterious Incidence of the Disappearing Bird"
"Mr. Milton Makes Soup"
I also like "Mr. Milton's Hens" - concise and to the point.
Can't wait to read it!
T

Popular Posts