Your Daily Miracle: 100 Words

Thank you for naming my chickens.

If and when this story ever shines under the big lights, I will share it with you all.  In order to actually submit said story, however, I still need to cut 87 words.  I spent much of my morning trimming about a hundred, and now there's that final 87.  When your story is only 1,087 words long and you've already hacked away, a final cut feels hard.  I have no doubt that Martin could do it. 

The paragraph, above, numbers 95 words.  Can you believe it?

Martin could cut that down to 87.  He'd probably point to my favorite part and say, "Totally unnecessary," and I would know that he is right.  That's why Martin should work for me full-time--then we'd both be eating tree roots and our parents would take the children away to where heat can still be paid for.

The paragraph, above, numbers 57 words.  Can you imagine how many words dribble from our lips every day, vague and amorphous?  This is party why we love Jane Austen so much, with her well-spoken heroines that make us all feel like bumbling idiots.  This is why we love books so much, too.  If it's a good book, someone has already edited it, paid for each word with sweat-equity, and enclosed all those well-chosen words in between two sturdy covers.

I've always admired those who have mastered an economy of words, though sometimes really wicked people say the least, like in my childhood dream where one person orders death with a calm, dead-pan sentence.  That fellow didn't talk much, but what he said was enough to make me awaken as soon as possible, my heart beating.

But back to happy thoughts.

If you were only allowed to say 100 words a day, what would they be?  And "I love you" over and over again doesn't count.  That's just silly.

Good morning, sweetheart.
Good morning, sweetheart.
Good morning, sweetie.
Good morning, sweetheart.
Go, go, go!  We're late!
Don't come in here with dirty shoes.
Did you put the kettle on?
How was your day?
I think you look beautiful!
Be kind to your sisters.
Hands OFF!
Will someone please bring me more toilet paper?
Don't forget your raincoat.
Get out of the middle of the street NOW.
Let's hurry or we'll be late.
Charley, stay.
Charley, come.
Fabulous job!
Good night, honey.
Good night, honey.
Good night, honey.
Good night.
I love you.
I love you.
Love you.
Love you.

100 words.

Comments

nataliejane said…
Beautiful post.

Some day, I will have to think about my 100 words.
Today, I talk too much and am very terrible at counting.

Popular Posts