Hoorah for me; Hoorah for the dogged one!

I just finished and printed my latest version of Magnificent Maple.  Thirty minutes ahead of schedule, no less!  (I start a freelance project tomorrow, so this was my last day for Maple until I get feedback).

I feel like a wee celebration.  And perhaps I would have given myself one had I stomped out the door with my sense of accomplishment intact.  Instead, I flipped through the pages as I bound them together; so far I've found four mistakes already.  How is this possible?  It is ALWAYS possible, and it is always probable, and there they are, corrected with pencil.

SoonI must prepare to eat crow, and lots of it, since I've sent this manuscript in two different versions to an editor, been rejected twice, and now want to send it to her again (But it's so much better!).  She may be done with me forever if I try it, but what do I have to lose?  It takes so long to make contact with an editor as an unattached writer.  I read a reflection the other day by an artist who was told that she needs to take failure in stride, get up, regroup, and meet the challenge again. By George, I've got that down.  I am as dogged as they come.

Of course I'm already drifting to my next project.  I'm dogged, but I am also distracted by the next thing.  Starting a new story or book is like being in a new, exciting dating relationship.  You flirt with the ideas, go out a few times, test the waters, think about it day and night. You spend more and more time together.  You make people weary with your constant chatter about your new love.  You think it is the best thing you have ever laid eyes on.  Doubts about sustaining such a romance only come later.

Magnificent Maple and I are an old married couple.  That book gives me a headache but I love it.

This day is bizarre.  Sunny and then dark as 7:30 at night.  Driving rain.  Oh, sunny again!  It actually drives me batty.  My head has felt as if it may explode all morning with the constant pressure changes.  Lots of tea and muffins have helped.

Ah, there it is, my friends.  Sitting on the table.  Maple, Maple, shish boom bah!  This time you can do it, dearie.

Of course, I've felt that way eight times before.

Woof.

Comments

It was sunny enough to pick up Bea from school and walk her home. Then it got dark and began to hail. No joke. Now it is sunny/cloudy again. Weeeirrrrd
nataliejane said…
You're adorable. Love this. And as far as the writing is like a new relationship thing--too true. And unfortunately, my writing is about in the state of my current love life. Stale. (:

Which I actually find quite hilarious to admit!
My life is full of somedays.

Keep writing; you inspire me ^.^

Popular Posts