Life is a Circus

Two more weeks of school, and life is a circus.
Center ring: Martin juggles many flaming torches: a job where he rises incredibly early, a job that brings him home late, a job that gives him a break for dinner and then fills his evenings.
Side Rings: Children on unicycles, riding back and forth from school, sports practices, end-of-year festivities.

And I?  I suppose I am the ring master?  No, I've given up that illusion of control, of ultimate design, long ago.

No.  I am the one retreating out the back, the elephant-rider-turned-thief.  My hands dripping with jewels, I slink under the mud-spattered big-top, hoping to disappear into the night.  With my ill-gotten gains I will move to a little, quiet cottage in the woods.  I will plant a simple garden to feed me.  I will build simple fires to keep me warm. I will try to pretend my life in the circus is over.  I will disavow knowledge of swinging trapezes, tigers in cages, large women with beards.


Comments

Martin said…
That's got to be one of the worst pictures of me, and not just because I have a life-sized clown draped over my shoulder.

Popular Posts