Today I walked in from the street, where I'd just waved goodbye to Bea, poured a cup of tea, and read some poetry from Poetry Daily


And then I wrote a short story.  It is merely a rough draft, but it poured from my fingers onto the screen as Charley lay nearby, his leash still attached.


Charley was ready to call his lawyer by the time I finally ate breakfast and took him on a walk.  But it is so good, and so rare, to have a morning like this one.  I think the last time a story poured out of me like that was back in Pennsylvania--say, about three years ago.  Most of the time it's like gardening--walk a row, bend over, drop a seed, cover it up, etcetera and etcetera.  Today it was like, plant the seed, watch it grow, pick a tomato.  So rare!  I used to think that's what writing was.  Those were the years when I thought I was brilliant and that the world was just waiting for me to drop a manuscript in their laps if I would only finally do them the favor of getting around to it.  After enough rejections to paper a room-no, a small house--those years are over.


I also used to think that I was full of knowledge and wisdom and profundity that I could easily pass down to the masses--after two years of teaching, I realized that I was ill-equipped for so many things and that everything I thought I was probably good at--writing and teaching--would take years and years and years of hard work, and even then I'd be realizing how much I didn't know. 


Martin sent me this great article about teachers, and what you thought you knew, and what you don't know.  I can't stand it when other parents or students start tearing teachers apart for all they don't do.  You want to tell them, Try it for a day.  Just a day.  And then get back to me.


Teachers, I salute you.

Comments

Popular Posts