This morning, frost covered the ground.  Frost and sun, all together, sing it: Frost and Sun!  Bea wanted to walk to school, so I parked at the middle school and we took our time strolling under a blue sky with the snowy mountains rising behind us.  She felt inundated by the magic of frost, sun, and sparkle.  I felt happy with her, and Charley was grateful for the opportunity to smell and anoint new smells.


I kept my hat and coat on to have a second cup of tea and a bagel as I browsed news.  The wee wood stove roars and the wood Martin piled up early this morning are already reduced to glowing black and white coals.  I have much work to do on the new draft of Magnificent Maple, but my engagement with the PTA hangs over my head.  This is why I have not yet shed my coat, hat, or boots: because then I would not be able to drag myself back out the door to distribute flyers and make a creative display for the PTA bulletin board.  I hate creative displays on bulletin boards.  But as Martin said a couple days ago:  "Do it NOW.  Why put off what can be done?"  And then of course I put it off so now I have to do it.


Sometimes I want to go into a room, close the door, and write for a week.  Just writing and fires and tea and Martin and the girls at the end of the day, or sometimes just Martin.  I have heard of such things.  I think they are called residencies :)!  But I want a residency in my own house, just not with the added dailiness of vacuuming, cooking, and laundry, and getting kids to their places at the right times.


Do it NOW.


Tonight our friend N is coming over for quiche night--a new innovation at the Cockroft house.  She will shave her head clean, and we will toast her hair goodbye.  She says she has been wanting to shave her head for years, and now is the time.  I have not pointed out the fact that the temperature recently plummeted to below freezing, so now may not be the best time--but as she says, there are a lot of cute hats out there.  She wants Martin to shave a cool pattern into her head, but I will be dumbstruck if that man, with all his talents, can achieve that.  I think better to set the guard and have at it.


Do it NOW.  PTA, here I come.

Comments

Popular Posts