After some days of sun, the rain returned this morning in earnest, blowing and insistent.  Charley and I walked quickly, breaking into a run occasionally, though by the time we'd reached the home-stretch, we were acclimated enough to kick about some water in the gutters.  At least I was.  Charley could hardly wait to get home.  He is not a brave or rugged dog.

The wind is really blowing today!  Hold onto your hat, Mr. Frumble!  (How many times did I read that book to Bea?  A hundred?)

Yesterday, on the way to meet Martin for a quick lunch, I almost died.  After two weeks of waiting anxiously to hear whether a few lumps in my breast were cancer or not, I almost died in five seconds on the highway.  So stupid.  I was driving in the left lane, thinking I was going to pass an enormous blue semi.  And then it happened.  Some bozo in a big black pick-up or SUV started riding my tail, apparently determined to shave two minutes off his commute.  There was no place for me to go.  The semi on my right refused to slow down, and so did the guy on my tail.  I sped up way past the speed limit to get over in the right lane so black SUV could pass, only to glance in my rearview mirror and see the grille of the blue semi pressing down behind me.  The SUV pulled fast down the highway, only to meet another car not speeding 10 or more above the limit, and I pulled back over into the left lane to let the truck rumble by, only to meet more law-abiding drivers in front of him.  Nothing was gained for anyone--they didn't arrive any faster and I almost died.  Okay, one thing was gained.  My vow never again to let some d***head intimidate me into putting my life in the balance in order to give into his bullying.  In this case, I was stuck between two bullies who had something to prove.  Horrible.

Speaking of bullies, it is Super Tuesday.  It looks like a man who bullies everyone and talks over everyone and is vocally misogynistic and rude and xenophobic and full of lies and slander will become the Republic nominee.  I feel both queasy about this and in new awe of this country that furnishes the freedom of speech and right to vote necessary to elect such a man.  It really is incredible and I am waiting for it to appear in The Week's "Only in America" section.  Wow.  What a fascinating time to be alive and to be reading the news.  Of course, by the time we place our votes here in Washington, everything is pretty much sewn up.  That's okay.  I'll still vote.  Merry would certainly vote if she could.  I want all my daughters to see me engaged in this process.

The rain let up; I've been doing a dozen things today but I haven't written a word on my projects, so I'll pretend to be a writer for thirty minutes before Merry blows in.  Martin finishes teaching his class today so tomorrow it's up by 5:30 and two hours of writing before breakfast.  Yay, I think.

Comments

Country Girl said…
I agree - I am completely bewildered as to how this man became the voice of half of America???
T

Popular Posts