Your Daily Miracle: A Snow Day

This morning we awakened to the cries of "Snow!  Snow!"  I hoped it meant a sleep-in; against my better judgment, I stayed up late last night, quaking with cold because I was so enthralled with my book that the thought of taking a break to fetch a blanket was unthinkable.  To rise from the chair would be to break the spell of the last two chapters and possibly allow Practical Me to intervene and convince me to go to bed.  Finally, at midnight, I turned to the Book Club questions and the interview with the author. . .and then there was no more to read.  Often when a book ends, I'll go scraping around as if I've just finished a big slice of cake and every little crumb left on the plate must be licked up.   I'll usually pursue any crumbs the book jacket has collected as well as any other notes I can find.  I hate to admit a good book is well and truly over. 

But it was.  Martin had fallen asleep under a blanket on the couch and he and I plodded up to bed. . .too late and rather cold.

And it was cold. Cold enough to turn the ubiquitous rain into heavy snowflakes that drifted from a black sky all night.  When I finally dragged myself from the warmth of the bed this morning, I was surprised and delighted to see the world under. . .yes, a blanket of white. 

"The kids are already outside," Martin told me, lingering at the window as I pulled on my fleece.  "Two-hour delay," he added.

Music to my ears.  I'd been dreading Wednesday for a while.  It promised to be an almost impossibly packed day, full of parties and dental appointments and running here and there, gymnastics lesson and dance practice.  And now it had all been pushed back.

At breakfast, we found to our utter delight that the roads were practically impassible and the two inches of snow piling ever higher on tree branches and deck railing.




Our beautiful street


Our Park


Meeting cousins for sledding!

Snow angels. . .and catching a few on your tongue.  I licked the snow off a fence post!  I did not lick a lamp post.


My neice on her yellow whizzer

Can you guess who is the Snow Goon?
Finally, getting cold. . .

And colder.  "Mommy, I want to go home!

Everything was cancelled.  It was a real snow day--more snow, in fact, than we'd seen in Pennsylvania all last winter.  A soft, heavy, perfect snowman snow.

Comments

Country Girl said…
Fun! We're waiting up here on the hill for some snow...just rain so far!

Popular Posts