Martin: SWM (song writing maniac)

Martin: song-writing maniac.  While browsing our fabulous composer friend, Greg Scheer's, original music blog, he found this site called FAWM.  Challenge:  write 14 songs in 28 days (the duration of February).  Despite pulling two wee-hours-of-the-morning with his mic, computer, voice, and guitar, I'm not sure Martin's going to make it.  Then again, you never know.  The man's on a roll.  He's written five so far. . .with nine to go.

He'd never admit to writing something for Valentine's Day, and honestly I'm sure that was the furthest thing from his mind when he wrote his new song, People That We're Not.  Nor, he assured me, was he writing about us, even though, like the couple in the song, we've been married for quite some time and lately I've been diving into my book at night after giving him a quick kiss. . .(What can I say?  There are few things sweeter at the end of a long day than a perfectly quiet house, the glow of a lamp, pillows stacked just so under my head, and a good book.)

No, he said, he'd come up with the music first, a sort of 70's vibe, and then written the lyrics much as he writes poems.  The voice sort of unfolded, he said.  Okay.  I buy that--Martin's a big structure guy.  Find the form--as solid as this table I'm typing upon--and then invite some words over for dinner.

All the same, maybe I should take the time to ask him what's growing in his garden.  Not that there's a lot of time these days--I'm usually dragging myself up at midnight and falling asleep to the sound of singing. . .and more singing. . .as he records tracks.  Not a bad way to end the day.

Comments

nataliejane said…
I am severely enjoying all of these songs.

lovelovelove
Country Girl said…
Am I imagining it, or can I hear rain in the background? Nice.
T
T,
Ha,ha! It's not rain! Although I hoped it would sound like rain to people. It's the DISHWASHER draining. It was one in the morning or something and Martin said there was no WAY he was going to stop recording then.

Popular Posts