Merry's Birthday Party (fashionably belated)

Since my brain is fried from working on our website, tonight I thought I'd steal a bit from Martin's e-mail to his mother to share with all of you:


Merry's homemade cake--it worked out better than mine ever has and it was delicious.  She made it one afternoon when I was gone visiting my mother--completely on her own.  She had the idea for the question mark since the party theme was "mystery."

All the girls wore 1920s style hats
Merry had a great party.  Meredith [my dad] actually spent the night with all the other kids at the McDaniel [my sister's] house, so we only had Merry and her three friends Friday night.  Such cute girls.  Tellingly, they're all first-borns, and they all seem sort of cut in the mold of Merry--mostly quiet, even playing together, well-mannered, gentle kids.  Merry asked for a "mystery" theme, and she had the whole thing planned in her head (uh, typical for her): start with a treasure hunt, play "Murder in the Dark" (the parlor game), and watch That Darn Cat.  She made her own cake the day before, and the girls were very impressed--one kept saying, "Merry, this is the best cake I've ever had.  I can't believe you made it!"  Then they slept over, talking and giggling until almost midnight. 

Bea and Merry just came to the table with macaroni and cheese and peas that Merry prepared.  It's funny how well any two of the girls get along at any time--but put them all together and you never know what will happen.  Merry's got radio tuned to jazz and Bea is bopping around and she shovels noodles into her mouth.  What a character.  Last night she was trying to tell us something at the dinner table and I guess we were talking over her or interrupting, because she slammed her palm on the table and commanded, "Silence!"  That got our attention.  


--K out.  Another week starts tomorrow and the couch is calling my name.

Comments

Sally, I have no idea. It just seems to be happening.
HOW did I anticipate your comment, btw? MAGIC.
Salsters, where did your comment go? It appeared on my e-mail but not here. Oh, well, Sal asked how Merry is growing up so quickly.

It just happens!

Popular Posts