Just a wee bit

Apparently my mother took some exception to the description of my youngest daughter's speech.  Blah, blah, blah.  I admit it was somewhat adolescent of me.  I am proud to report that since that time, I have become a paragon of summer-parenting virtue. 

Well, most of the time.  It is somewhat tricky not to have a car, since Martin has begun his daily commute.  Soon we will be a two-car family: a traumatic experience for us that is causing us to drag our feet, wondering one more time if there's another way.  But there is not.  I told Martin to bite the bullet and go negotiate today, so I can be emancipated by four wheels again.  How unAmerican of us--to be saddened by the purchase of another beautiful car! . . .though Martin read the other day about how the American love affair with cars is fizzling--no big surprise there (here's just one article)--what with the reality of gas prices and a less bountiful economy, coupled with a knowledge of what all those cars are doing to our environment.  So for us, our new car will be smallish, with excellent gas mileage, without jumping into the price bracket of hybrids.

The weather is perfect right now--sunny and windy without edging into too hot.  The girls are riding bikes and Elspeth is making bulls-eyes with a bow and arrow in the back yard.  Charley keeps shifting on the porch, trying to find the best balance of sun and shade.  Two different wind-chimes sing different songs that blend to make me feel as if I'm sitting in the midst of some magic spell. 

Mingling in my mind along with the chiming: What in the world am I supposed to do with my life?  What am I supposed to do with the left-over ham?  How am I going to go back-to-school shopping with no car?

My brother's wedding at the Baltimore zoo, a week in Pennsylvania back in Wazoo's old stomping grounds, a week on the Oregon coast complete with stark white lighthouse against endless blue sea.  I have a hundred photos to share and someday I will.

Comments

Popular Posts