Bea and I started on a book yesterday.  Here was the first and only page:

This is the story about the gerbil of Bea, who died at the paws of a small white dog.

I wish I had done what I had intended--that is, snap a photo of the picture she scrawled underneath the text, which was just brilliant--the gerbil appears happy, nonchalant, with the dog approaching close behind, bent on destruction.  (She shoved it in an envelope before I could take a picture and addressed it to her teacher).  Martin looked over her shoulder as she worked and commented, "I don't think Charley looks happy enough."  And Merry, who was completing her homework at the counter, looked horrified and said in her sad voice, "Awwww, I don't think it's very nice to draw a picture of the gerbil's death."  And Elspeth just looked pleased.

Speaking of Elspeth, she has news!  Big news!  She applied for a job and was granted said job by her classmate's votes.  Here is her letter of application:


9-13- 14

Mrs. F
S-- Elementary

Dear Mrs. F,


My name is Elspeth Cockroft, and I am a 3rd grade student in your class.  I am writing to apply for the job banker.


As my application shows, I am well parpared for this job because I am good with numbers, honest, and Discreet.  I have taken care of my alluence and have been banker in monopoly.


Some of my preveise jobs are Doorholder and librarian.  I have also followed resupies, feed my dog the right amount of food, and counted logs to put in a wealbairo.


I feel I am a good fit for this job.


Sincerely,


[very fancy signature here:]

Elspeth Cockroft

__

"Mrs. F didn't call us by our names so it wouldn't be a papalarity contest," Elspeth explained, her face shining with her great success (I love the way she pronounces 'popular').  "So she called me 'Joe 3.'  She said, 'Who wants to vote for 'Joe 3?' And everybody did except for the other two kids who wanted to be Banker.  So then they voted and she said, "Joe 3 is. . .Elspeth Cockroft!"  

She smiled in a grown-up, proud way, and I suddenly had a glimpse into what she might look like as an adult.  I thought, someday I will be watching my grown-up Elspeth telling this story again, but it will be because she has landed a job as. . .what?  I've no idea.  Something really fantastic, I'll bet, and a bit off-beat.




Comments

Popular Posts