Beginning to feel at home. . . .

All is well.


A bee ducks in through the open door.  Windchimes.  Charley's toenails clicking on the smooth floor.


On my desk: a silver lamp with blue and grey stripes, a vase glazed with yellow and grey, sprouting two bamboo fronds; a solid jade bookend, terracotta pot of succulents; a lopsided bowl Merry made when she was small, filled with papery Japanese maple leaves; a blue frame holding two bright yellow speckled birds with beaks raised; my own tea mug, potted in Pennsylvania, blue and drippy purple glaze.


On the floor next to me: a hearth Martin laid with his own two hands, struggling with each weighty Pennsylvania grey stone as he heaved it into place and mortared quickly; a gleaming new floor, a black woodstove that still bears warm coals from last night.  We sat in our red rocking chairs and watched the blue flames dance and lick the top of the stove--a beautiful secondary burn that lasted for many minutes.  Our house felt cozy and almost too-warm despite the lowish temperatures outside as we finally climbed up to bed.


And today is my first day 'back to normal--' a new normal, since all three girls are in school all day for the first time in many, many years.  I'm listening to the clock ticking, and inside I am like this room; almost settled, but with a few pictures left unhung, a few strips of molding still missing, a room just beginning to feel at home with itself after a great change.  This room, like the entire interior of the house, received a coat of primer and some gleaming new coats of paint; its carpet was wrenched away and new floor laid; new furniture, new curtains, new hearth, a new Lopi stove in place of the ancient Blaze King. 


And I?  My head still spins from a busy, eventful summer.  I give thanks for these gifts: this house, its spreading back yard, its quiet, wide-streeted, tree-lined neighborhood; for the many, many people who crossed our threshold(s) in the past three months to leave blessings in their wake; for the family and friends who poured themselves into work on our behalf.


The evening before school began, as I walked through the halls of Poulsbo Elementary (the third school I visited this summer, since the girls are in three different schools this year!), I felt a strange emptiness in my gut, a sudden feeling of being adrift.  With the rush of everything, with the attention prioritized on the other members of my family, I suddenly wondered: What will my year look like?  Who am I supposed to be this year?  What am I supposed to do?  I haven't written a word all summer; I feel divorced from my projects; I feel a bit at sea without my comrade, Lizuca, with whom I spent many, many blissful free hours last year.  She and her husband and three wonderful girls exited to a new adventure in Arizona. I felt tempted to secure a part-time job as soon as possible, to anchor myself to something besides my own watery dreams and wide-open schedule.


This morning, after a scramble to different buses, I took a walk with Charley, a nice long walk. I began to feel centered in my solitude again.  I came back here.  I heated a cup of tea, I opened windows, I sat down in front of my computer, and I began to feel at home with myself again.  A day is beginning to take shape. 


I will see you again tomorrow, same time, same place.

Comments

Country Girl said…
Oh, hello...there you are! Glad to hear that you are finally getting settled. Hope this is the place you are to be for many years! Send pictures so we can visit vicariously!

Popular Posts