Elspeth often writes on my computer, and I often find multiple windows open containing scraps of school papers or stories or poems.  I love her creativity and her enthusiasm for writing.

I just found a new window open with a few Valentine notes that Elspeth is planning to attach to her mini fruit roll-ups for kids in her class.  This one caught my eye:

Dear Henry*,
 I don’t like you that much but anyway,

Roses are red, violets are blue, you are sweet and cool too.

 I've heard Elspeth ranting about Henry before, so I know that one line of this Valentine is more sincere than the other.  The rule "If you can't say anything nice, just give the kid a Fruit Roll-up without a message" may apply here.

This Valentine message reminds me of the one my little brother sent his sweet, white-haired, soft-cornered 3rd grade teacher back in the day:

Dear Ms. Davies*,

I hate you.
Drop dead.
Love, Kenton


He'd been reading a LOT of Calvin and Hobbes. Poor Ms. Davies approached my mother, grasping Kenton's horrible Valentine, and said, "Oh, I just don't understand it!  He's always such a SWEET boy."

I hope you all get some great Valentines--and may they all be honest and sweet at the same time.


*Names have been changed to protect the innocent!

Comments

Country Girl said…
I always wished I had the cojones to tell kids what I REALLY thought of them instead of the dumb valentine stuff - go Elspeth!

Popular Posts