Oh, I cannot contain myself.  I am like the wind-chimes, ringing merrily outside the front door, gleaming in spring sunshine.

Spring.  Spring.

I got the fevah.

Yesterday I cleared away armfuls of dead foliage and found treasures beneath.  I planted little pots of bright, jewel-like primroses and remembered: I love this.  This is our first spring in our new home, a place we own and can invest in again.  At the rental, I felt as if I were just keeping up, housekeeping; and so I was. Here, I plant a buttery yellow primrose and I think, I'll see this again next spring.  It's a completely different sensation, and it makes me want to buy and beg truckloads of flowers.

I must finish editing Maple before the fever takes me completely and I am pulled outside by the sunshine and warming dirt.

If you were to walk by our house today, you'd see fresh beds gashed into our lawn--two big ones at the front, cut in a wave around a vibrant green patch of grass.  Trees arrive next weekend and spurred on by our master-gardener brother-in-law Luke, who arrived for two days running armed with shovels and his hard-working son, we kissed our turf goodbye.  "Let's dig," Luke said, a big grin on his face.  And so we did.

An impressive mountain of turf cuts through our yard--6 ft. long and four ft. high.  What to do with all that sod?  Luke's son, Josiah, suggested building a paint-ball course, but grown-ups are SO very boring. . .So in the future: a berm, and what else I do not know.  For now the children are LOVING climbing the turf ridge, clambering along the top, and into a tree.  I wish we could leave it there, but it is a bit of an eyesore and a few days of rain would turn it into a slick, awful mess.

What do I love? The soil.  In PA, I'd plunge a shovel and hit rocks and clay.  Here, black soil crumbles away from my trowel.  I heard such soil was possible, but I hadn't dared to believe it.  What else to I love? A vision of hundreds of zinnias and cosmos, bowing in the summer breeze.  A tea table in the middle on the lawn, virtually hidden by the street by roses and young trees and towering cottage flowers; our front door, painted red.

Photos to come.  I can't manage to figure out how to recharge my camera--I know, so silly, but there it is.  Martin will send me some from his phone.

Comments

Country Girl said…
Today is our second snow day in a row - yesterday because of temperatures that did not climb above single digits all day long, and today because of 4 inches of fresh snowfall over night. I am no where close to digging into my flower beds, and now I have hand surgery to recover from before I can get started. I'm so jealous. I might not be able to look at your blog for a while!!

JK! :-)
Sildah said…
I turned sod for blueberry bushes this year at 22 weeks pregnant. Not the smartest thing that I have ever done but the smell of sun-warmed soil is intoxicating in its own way and I can't seem to keep away.

Popular Posts