School orientation this afternoon in one hour.

This morning, after hitting my alarm clock twice, I finally rolled out of bed, stumbled to the door, and called across the hallway, "Merry!  Wakey, wakey, lovey!"

She raised her head from her pillow and chirped: "Orientation today!"

That girl loves, and I mean, loves school.

After a trip to the dentist so Bea could get a tooth filled--which began in a cloud of disgrace, since during a last-minute search for my purse, the girls shouted at each other in the car at a quite audible pitch and informed each other that they were "disgraces to the family--" followed by a trip to Costco, I was feeling just a little ragged around the edges.  At home, as I was putting away the ungodly large boxes of cereal I'd bought at Costco, Elspeth of the dozen-or-more elbows and ten left feet swung her heel backward and almost knocked my big toenail clear off.  "Did it bend all the way back?"  She hopped around me in curiosity as I bent over with my eyes squeezed shut, hissing, "It's okay!  It's okay!  It was an accident!"

And yes, I, too, am ready for school to start soon.  I love, and I mean, love school.

People keep saying, "I'm not ready to let summer go," and I smile and I think, Oh, I am.  I am ready to say goodbye to summer.

It's been a great summer, but packed, and with Martin working almost all of it, it's not been the summer of the past, marked by long, lazy days in the garden and long, late nights with g & t's.  No, it's been a feat of scheduling and cleaning house and keeping kids busy with one more day trip.  There have been many lovely things about the summer, good people and bright dahlias and towering sunflowers and amazing days at the beach staring out at the blue water with the mountains outlined against the horizon.  Sand between toes and picnics and games and cold coffee and walks, of looking at boats in the harbor while Bea bellies up to the pier, fishing out sea jellies.

But as my sister commented, "What happened to the summer of long, lazy days?"  What, indeed?  I think perhaps we are overscheduled.  Things won't always be like this--someday I'll make money and Martin will be able to work less; someday, someday. . . .truly, before this gets maudlin, I give thanks for all the summer was, for the people I loved and the days I loved and the sea and all the laughs the kids inspired in me--so much laughter, after all, and laughter is perhaps the mark of a good summer and a good life.

And indeed it is almost fall and I love, love, LOVE fall.  I love cool days and nights and the smell of leaves and pumpkin cooking and all that autumnal jazz.  I love seeing my girls excited and shining-faced when they try on their newly-packed backpacks and I love the determination that settles in their mouths and eyes when they turn away to a new adventure--first day of school!

And I love coming back home and feeling the day, open and light as a balloon, in my hands, and knowing that I can fill it with the weight of words, and that for a few hours, all will be silent and sacred before the kids come home, and then I will be home waiting for them, and that is sacred, too.

Happy back to school, everyone!

Comments

Sally said…
Happy Back to School indeed!

Popular Posts