I just walked upstairs with a full laundry basket, dumped it on the bed, and announced,

It's been the most wretchedy boring day!

Following this declaration, I thought triumphantly:

I've broken the glass ceiling.
My grandmother never allowed herself to say her day was boring
Housework, home life, rearing children, all had to be interesting.  But it's not.  It's BORING!
Yay for me!

After this self-congratulation I noted:

But you didn't really get anything done today.
You didn't fold the laundry.
You didn't finish your walk.
You sat in a chair and wrote
and what you wrote is probably worth less
than the paper on which it is printed.

Depressed now, I rallied with a philosophical thought:

it is because you are so privileged that you get to feel bored.  Boredom is a mark of great privilege.

After realizing that this piece of philosophy, like most others, was in fact my mother speaking to me, I sighed:

There's only one thing left to do.
Have a cup of tea.

Which is precisely what I am doing.  Perhaps it is one of the best things I have done all day.  The dog is sleeping.  The stove is roaring.  I am drinking a hot cup of tea out of my robin mug, reading Elizabeth Gaskell, and listening to more worthy voices.

Comments

Christen said…
Thank you for making me laugh! My day is now less boring because of you. xo

Popular Posts