This is not a recent photo, but it was recently sent to me by Martin's dad, and I think it's just magnificent.  The young girl in the old tree.


What can I say to you all?  It's been many months, and I cringe every time I open my page to access the other blogs that I love to read.  Christmas, and the preparations thereof, and an onslaught of viruses and strep and then Martin's extra class this semester--it all happened.  I am trying to get back into a semblance of a personal schedule, but I still feel adrift.

Over the break, I heard that a small press wants to publish a picture book of mine.  Good news!  There was a flurry of activity at first but now all is silent as they secure an illustrator.  I am waiting to see an actual contract and find out who the illustrator will be, and when that happens I will be ready for Martin to take me to dinner.

Also, another story comes out in Ladybug Magazine in May, this one set in our own Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, WA.  I am excited about that.

This is the thing about being a writer, though--there are moments of excitement and encouragement and momentum, but the rest of it is slow, and sometimes just plodding on, and doubting your vocation and wondering if you should join the workforce that actually collects a paycheck once or twice a month.  Then there's this deep and abiding grey.  No snow, just endless rain.  Most days I am fine with that--I light a candle, build a fire, venture out with Charley for our walks. But some days my head aches from the atmospheric pressure and I feel secluded and grey within as well as without.  We all have these moments, I know, and the blogs and facebook posts we see that celebrate these super high points in everyone's day sometimes only serve to make us wonder why our own lives are so hum-drum and limited.  So-and-so went skating on a pond and baked a big pan of something delicious and drank wine with friends and attended a fabulous class and sealed the evening with a harp concert.  Who has days like that?  Some people, I guess, but not me.

Man, I'm a drag today, and this is my entry back into my blog?  Sorry about that.  I will pull my shoelaces tight and take Charley out for a brisk walk and return with my momentum intact.  Also, I plan to haul myself to a coffee shop with my laptop so I can soak up the energy of others, and their good lighting, and their heat, and caffeine.  It will be a good day.

xo

Comments

kara said…
Hurrah about the picture book! Can't wait until it s sitting on L's shelf!
Country Girl said…
Congratulations on the book - that has to feel AWESOME! xoxo T

Popular Posts