All over town, the ornamental plums are struttin' their stuff.  Bedecked with candyfloss-pink blooms, they are the beauty queens of neighborhood streets, in their glory before falling back into dark purple ignominy.  Meanwhile, our daffs are blooming and the fruit trees are either frilly with blossoms or expecting.  The orange califonia poppies that arrived via a huge load of compost last spring have reseeded themselves into a celery-green carpet.  Everything is quickening--quickening!--a word that takes me back to the threshold of our house in Pennsylvania, where I greeted proselytizers from the local independent Bible church who asked me if I had "been quickened in the spirit."  Well, every tree, bush, shrub, and seedling has been quickened in the spring spirit here.  Last night I had a dream I was carrying around a newborn baby.  Perhaps that is my spirit also awakening, stirred by the promise of warming days, sun, and new growth.  (Or maybe it is because I finished the Downton Abby finale last night and Anna finally had her baby.  I prefer the first, more interesting reason, though.)

Spring is an odd time, of course--it holds out a hand full of treats (like a warm, sunny morning) and retracts it just as fast, fobbing off on you dreary grey skies and cold rain,  Similarly, our health these days is just as capricious (at least for the children) and spring colds abound.  This week alone I've had one or two kids home every day, bleary-eyed and cloth-tongued with head colds.  It makes for an unusual week for me, with not much writing work but lots of time to putter around the house, which has been in a miserable state of disorganization, watch dumb TV with the kids, brew endless cups of tea and run out of all staples, including onions, because I am not at liberty to run to the grocery store.

But it is also a good break from the somewhat stressful week schedule and I'm enjoying it.  As of today the laundry is all done and put away, which is a miracle in itself.  (How much of this before I go batty, though?)  So far I feel fairly content (buoyed too by Bernie's recent happy upset) though I must tell you, being out of onions is really a conundrum.

In the spirit of feeling lazy and ready to watch things even during the day, here is a very touching youtube video released recently by the Humane Society. . .in theory it should make me appreciate my neurotic dog more. . .but in any case, it is a wonderful story!  Enjoy.

Eric & Peety
You know animal rescue isn't just about animals. Before Eric met Peety, his doctor told him to buy a cemetery plot because he wouldn’t make it another five years. Watch their story and submit your own at www.mutualrescue.org. The best stories will be made into short films. Rescued pets save lives.
Posted by Humane Society Silicon Valley on Sunday, February 14, 2016

Comments

Christen said…
Thanks for the lovely post! The link was so sweet--it made me tear up a bit. Miss you.
I know, it makes me teary every time I watch it. I viewed it with the girls and we were all wiping tears away!

Popular Posts