Sidewalks

Silence.  It's so easy to get used to it.  At the beginning of this trip, I was actually NERVOUS about the fact that I would be on my own (except for the mornings and evenings, when I say goodbye to Martin).  What would I do with all my time?  Would I be able to get back into writing after a long hiatus?

Now I think of my fears and guffaw.  I could use another week of this. 

I wanted to share with you one of my favorite things about Vancouver, WA besides the bakery with amazing beignets, the public library, and the gorgeous old bungalows:  the sidewalks.  In particular, the front yard gardens.  This was an immensely lovely time to walk around, as everything is in the height of bloom--the golden chain trees, the redbuds, the 'candle' trees which proper name I have never known--and all the flowers of course, especially the lush bearded irises.

Portland is Portland and fabulous, but this was only ten minute's drive away and much less expensive.  And it was just perfect.



 I've walked miles here, mostly with my computer bag slung over my shoulder.  I've walked to the grocery store,
the coffee shop,
the waffle + coffee joint,
the Blue Door Bakery (serving aforementioned astounding beignets),
the library of course,
and round and about in circles the first day or two when I was lost, especially the time my phone with the Air B&B address on it died.  I remembered I was on 29th Street, and walked up and down, up and down, many times before I figured out that I was actually on 30th.

All who wonder may actually be lost, hot, and sweaty, but it doesn't mean they can't enjoy the front yard gardens along the way.

The Air B&B was marvelous.  We've been sleeping up a ladder in a loft which means there is no getting up in the middle of the night for me, since I am afraid of plummeting to my death. 



And now it is the last night here in Vancouver.  Of course it will be so good to get back to the girls, my tea cozy, my pillows.  Jury is out on whether I am anxious to see the dog again.  My mother did tell me that she's 'settled down' after a series of crazy moments, most notably when she opened the window for the second time while everyone was out.  Our neighbor ran across the street, climbed onto the roof, and sat there with her until my Dad could get home.  I keep wondering if she has opposable thumbs hidden somewhere clever.  She is part border collie, but come on.  That's a bit much.

Tomorrow afternoon this time, I will not be drinking wine out of a tea cup with a candle next to me, watching our Air B&B host (who lives in the big house), speed down the alley on the tiny dirt bike he's rehabbing for his grandson.  No, we will likely be sitting in traffic perhaps after one last stop at the Portland IKEA.  I have a weakness for cheap Scandi stuff, it's on the way, and there's no sales tax.  Too bad we can only fit so much into Martin's tiny Honda Pilot.

Comments

Popular Posts